[svlug] New to Kernel programming and device drivers

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Wed Apr 21 16:33:27 PDT 2010

O'Reilly has a good book on Linux device drivers, called ... "Linux Device Drivers"
http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Device-Drivers-Jonathan-Corbet/dp/0596005903

It's in its third edition, and you can get a used copy at Amazon for $20.  It covers up to ver 2.4 of the kernel interfaces.

You'll also want to get really solid C knowledge.  There's an amount of bit twiddling and cycle bumming in driver code.  You can master a lot of this by reading code and taking the time to figure it out.  I would recommend the Diomidis Spinellis book "Code Reading" for that.
http://www.amazon.com/Code-Reading-Open-Source-Perspective/dp/0201799405

Apart from anything else, it's a very enjoyable read.  Diomidis is a past winner of the International Obfuscated C Code Competition.  His entry is an absolutely breathtaking BASIC interpreter in ~20 lines of C!   You can see it here:  http://cis.csuohio.edu/~somos/ddsbasic.c

Cheers,

    Peter