[svlug] Fwd: Fwd: RMS speaks at Stanford April 30

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Tue Apr 20 18:27:49 PDT 2010

More info on the talk for anyone interested:

###########
Richard Stallman* [www.stallman.org] will talk about "A Free Digital
Society." Activities directed at ``including'' more people in the use
of digital technology are predicated on the assumption that such
inclusion is invariably a good thing. It appears so, when judged
solely by immediate practical convenience. However, if we also judge
in terms of human rights, whether digital inclusion is good or bad
depends on what kind of digital world we are to be included in. If we
wish to work towards digital inclusion as a goal, it behooves us to
make sure it is the good kind.

THIS TALK IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.  (RSVPs are not necessary but are
greatly appreciated to ruchika at cs.stanford.edu)

When:  April 30th, 11am-1pm

Where:  Stanford University, Room Hewlett 201 (Campus and parking maps
are accessible at:
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/visitorinfo/plan/maps.html)

* Richard Stallman launched the development of the GNU operating
system (see www.gnu.org [www.gnu.org]) in 1984. GNU is free software:
everyone has the freedom to copy it and redistribute it, as well as to
make changes either large or small. The GNU/Linux system, basically
the GNU operating system with Linux added, is used on tens of millions
of computers today. Dr. Stallman has received the ACM Grace Hopper
Award, a MacArthur Foundation fellowship, the Electronic Frontier
Foundation's Pioneer award, and the Takeda Award for Social/Economic
Betterment, as well as several honorary doctorates.

Please feel free to forward.

Thanks,
Ruchika