[svlug] stereoscopic image processing help ?

Bob Smith bsmith at linuxtoys.org
Mon Apr 5 11:51:54 PDT 2010

Hi,
     I've recently completed a small Linux robot.  You can
see it here:  http://www.linuxtoys.org/biclops/biclops.jpg

I'd like to add a couple of small web cams to the robot
and use them to get distances, and to use the distances
to do obstacle avoidance.

Is there anyone on the SVLUG mailing list who would be
willing to help me with this?     I know of, but nothing
about, OpenCV.  Is there anyone who does?

The robot is controlled by a Chumby which should be able
to process (I hope) one or two frames per second.  The bot
has:
  - Chumby computer as the Linux host
  - Two low cost USB cameras (still to-do)
  - Chassis size is 5 x 7 x 3.25 inches
  - Dual DC gearhead motors to drive the wheels
  - Optical quadrature sensors on each drive wheel
  - Maxbotix range sensor
  - Servo motor to rotate the ultrasonic range sensor
  - Four bumper switches (still needs the bumpers)
  - VeX RC receiver for initial navigation and for testing

I'm looking forward to Akkana's talk on Wednesday and will
bring the robot along if anyone is interested.

thanks
Bob Smith