[svlug] a classic question: what PC is good, cheap and Linux friendly

Hans van Rietschote hvrietsc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 09:29:35 PST 2010

Ok so here is what I wound up buying (pre-assembled from centralcomputers):

endeavour E260 with:
intel core2 duo E8500, 3.16Ghz, 6Mb
Asus P5QPL-AM motherboard with onboard video 1G ethernet, and sound,
supports virtualization
4GB D499K-W DDR2 memory
2 Seagate barracuda 7200 1TB SATA disks
sony/NEC AD-7240S-OB SATA dvd R/W
#AN45 Antec Sonata III quiet case
installation was only  $52 so not worth spending my time.

I checked the pre-assembled price with buying all the pieces separately and
there is no difference (other then the installation cost).

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and everything worked out of the box: sound,
ethernet, video
The E8500 is the cheapest dual core Intel CPU that supports hardware
virtualization (and so does the motherboard I picked) so now I am running
VirtualBox at full speed. The guest is a windows-XP system and with seamless
mode turned on I can run windows and Linux applications side by side. Highly
recommended if you need to be in both world.