[svlug] view metadata in AVI files

David Hummel lemmuh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 05:42:59 PST 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Peter van der Linden <pvdl at afu.com> wrote:
> There is an open source, either crack or reimplementation (I'm not sure which) of the software that drives all Canon point-and-shoot models, including the two you mention.
>
> The project, known as CHDK, has a wiki at:  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
>
> If the AVI file creation time, plus its size doesn't give you the info to reconstruct timestamps of sufficient accuracy for any given offset in the file, then CHDK will let you add in your own code.

Thanks!  This looks like an interesting project for extending the
functionality of the camera.  At this point, I'm really only
interested in reading embedded AVI file metadata after I've
transferred the files from the camera.

The issue is that importing tools like gThumb do not maintain file
modification times.  Of course I can transfer files directly from the
SD card, in which case I can preserve the modification times, but in
transferring files this way I don't get some added benefits of the
importing tools (e.g. physical rotation).  As such, I'd prefer to use
the importing tools, and do post-import processing of the timestamps.
I can verify that the AVI files contain embedded timestamps by
perusing them in a text editor and/or pager, but I was hoping a simple
tool existed that would print this metadata to the console (similar to
what the ImageMagick "identify" program does for image files).

FWIW, even popular video applications on MacOS (e.g. Quicktime Player,
iMovie) do not allow you to view this embedded metadata ;-(