[svlug] catalog directories

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Oct 29 23:04:13 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:17:11 -0700
Jeff Shippen <jeff.lists.nov.2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Linux, Windows, and Mac, so if you know of a program for
> any, or all of these OS's, please let me know.

I don't think the problem is the tool rather deciding what stay in
and what stay out.

Windows users tend to put their documents in random places.
*nix users have their homes but eg. I've executable scripts in my
home... and still some may be automatically created scripts [sic].
Then you have to decide what to do about all the configuration files.

Keeping up to date a Linux system is very easy. So generally you're
going to move your user configuration file in a system that will
have similar software version.
What's going to happen on a Windows system?

For Linux/Mac? you can use find + file.

find ./ -type f -exec file {} ;\

For Windows I think you may have to import this:
http://filext.com/

I don't think you're going to find a reliable tool.

A better approach would be just signalling directories that contain
candidates to be transferred and then do it by hand.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it