[svlug] FSF offers Credit Card

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Wed Oct 28 12:56:44 PST 2009

11.15% is a nice interest rate. But I'm confused that it says:

"Your APR may vary. Purchase APR:  The regular APR for Purchases is
determined monthly by adding 5.90% to the Prime Rate."

So, then shouldn't it be 5.90% + 3.25%[1] = 9.15%

Ooops. I guess I didn't read the fine print:

"The Prime Rate used to determine the APR for Purchases and for Cash
Advances is the highest Prime Rate published in The Wall Street Journal on
the fifteenth (15th) day of each month, or the next business day, if the
15th falls on a weekend or holiday, provided however, that the Prime Rate
used to determine the APR for Purchases and Cash Advances will never be less
than 5.25%."

...and that's how we have 11.15% (today).

What seems vague though is this bullet point:

 * $50 donation by the bank when you first use the card plus ongoing
contributions.

I don't see "ongoing contributions" defined anywhere.
Is it a % of each purchase? Is it some monthly or annual fixed amount? Two
whom do these contributions go (FSF directly who then picks and chooses? Do
I get to choose the projects?)

"Funds from our new Visa program will help support the mission of the FSF to
preserve, protect and promote the freedom to use, study, copy, modify, and
redistribute computer software, and to defend the rights of Free Software
users."

Seems to indicate our monetary contribution is at the mercy of whacky old
RMS'. Pretty soon he'll be saying it should be GNU/Visa and GNU/bux or some
crap. :-\

Without further clarification it sort of feels as if someone is just pimping
Linux much as corporations do for the pink ribbon campaign [2].

[1] http://www.wsjprimerate.us/
[2]
http://digg.com/health/Seeing_red_over_breast_cancer_s_pink_marketing_blitz