[svlug] SOHO router spiced up was: Sheevaplug ?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Oct 22 15:36:10 PDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:40:58 -0700
Marco Walther <marco at sonic.net> wrote:

> for OpenWRT, ASUS boxes are still around work well for me;-)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320011

This belong to the list of "we pretend to be open" (actually not
exactly...).
You've to run 2.4 kernel because it is the only one containing a
binary version for the wifi broadcom card. Plus it seems that
currently n mode is unsupported.

I'm currently very happy of my wl500g (same problem as above but
bought... at least 5 or 6 years ago).
I bricked a wl500pv1 and now the v2 is unsupported.

> You could also look at the ubnt.com access pointings/boards.

They look nice but I can't see how much I'm going to pay to have
something boxed and there is no reseller nearby.

Now I really find hard to understand why it has to be so difficult
to find a really open router that's supported.
After all most of the work for most of the router by asus, dlink,
netgear etc... has already be done.
Even swapping one minipci card with another may (just may) increase
the cost of the HW for the manufacturer 2 or 3% but with the
advantage of exploiting a plethora of developers that really make
shine that HW.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it