[svlug] How bigs my home

james@linuxrebel.org james at linuxrebel.org
Wed Oct 21 23:13:55 PDT 2009

All,

   Situation is this 2.5TB of home dirs.  Most consisting of large amounts
of small files running between 48k and 20GB of data.  du -sh will print
out a very nice accounting of the size of a dir (used in a script of
course) but on some of the larger ones say 20GB it can take 25-30
minutes to return. Get 10 in a row and you see what happens.

   Complications. This is done over a NFS mount rather than directly on
the NAS itself. Can't change the file system (NAS only does what it
does) Can't tweak the file system (3rd party managed by people who only
know how to say no).  Can't install software on the NAS itself.

  What I'm looking to do eventually will be to alert space hogs that they
need to trim back.  I'm trying to  avoid the blank stare one gets when a
developer finds out his/her data is lost because it exceeded the
available drive space (*grin*)

   Anyone know of a way to calculate the size of a directory faster than
du -sh can do it?  I'm not worried about sorting or other aspects.
Just the fastest way to tell me how big a specific dir is.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

James