[svlug] Sheevaplug ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 21 20:46:06 PDT 2009

Quoting Benjamin Floering (floering at ieee.org):

> And if you are going to be a stickler and say that I didn't include the HDD
> power, then fine.  The WD "green" 1TB external HDD plugged into the
> Sheevaplug burns about 8W, so total that is still a respectable 10X less
> power than before.

Using my PG&E billing calculations with your setup, and adding a second
WD 1 TB external drive (as I really love mirror pairs, because I like my
data and want to keep it), one gets:

Sheevaplug w/512 MB RAM:  5W
Drive #1:                 8W
Drive #2:                 8W
                         ---
Total                    21W

Cost per month in electricity, at my current residential rate:  ~$4
(cf. the current ~$20/month for the PIII with 1.5 GB RAM and three
relatively power-thirsty but fast and reliable U320 SCSI drives).

Does seem kinda nice, but I'd appreciate a few pioneers doing it first.  ;->

Thank you very much for the details, by the way.