[svlug] Sheevaplug ?

Will Ashford washford at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 21 15:58:06 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Greg Lindahl (lindahl at pbm.com):
>
>> I believe that the Sheevaplug does lack FP, but most (all?) crypto
>> algorithms don't use FP.
>
> I'd be somewhat gobsmacked, if that latter were the case.  I've just
> done some Web-searching on "openssl fpu" and "gnutls fpu" and it sure
> looks to me like they use common FPUs.  (This is not an area where I
> have any particular expertise, so my surmise based on a couple of
> minutes of searching might be mistaken.)

Symmetric ciphers in general (AES, Blowfish, etc), do not use float
point arithmetic. Asymmetric ciphers (like our friends RSA and DSA)
are almost entirely floating point computations. The majority of
asymmetric crypto is used at SSL (or SSH) session initiation, after
that symmetric is used. I would be interesting in knowing how long it
takes a sheevaplug to do openvpn (or other SSL type connection) setup.

Will