[svlug] Ubuntu and streaming on ustream.tv

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Wed Oct 21 00:58:09 PDT 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Skip Evans wrote:

> Well, ustream.tv is a total breeze. Alan was right, Flash
> itself finds the camera and begins broadcasting immediately.
> Pretty neat. Although right now it only works that simply in
> Vista, not Ubuntu, but I found a program called WebcanStudio
> that serves as an intermediary between your camera and
> ustream.tv, so I'll keep trying to get it work with Ubuntu,
> even though I can fall back to Vista if I need to for Science
> Pub this Sunday.

The thing is, you have kino running. I think that's the 1394
driver (using lib1394), possibly...but if kino is working,
that's golden! You can edit video with that, and AFAIK, might be
one of the few, if not the only program that edits video on open
source. Linux should work fine, I don't know about Ubuntu as I
always use Debian. Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, it should
work without WebcanStudio.

kino will do what I use iMovie for on the Mac.

One thing that flash is not good about is if you unplug your
device. For instance, let's say you start streaming on ustream,
and during the broadcast the camera is unplugged. That often
will not recover and/or loose your session. ustream used to
loose the session if you were recording it, but now they will be
left in your videos as I recall...I haven't used ustream in a
while...

Theres a chat board or something that the viewers can use also,
so you can take questions while a presentation is going on
and/or have people commenting. irc works as well, IMO,
though...and more people would use irc when we were
broadcasting on ustream.

ustream rocks! Different than YouTube, it has some interesting
people and things happening also.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/