[svlug] Ubuntu and streaming on ustream.tv

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Tue Oct 20 20:46:13 PDT 2009

Hey all,

I am organizer here in Madison, WI called Science Pub, where
once a month a different UW scientist comes to a very cool
local pub while about 40 to 50 hang out and eat, have a beer,
and engage the scientist in a very informal discussion about
their field.

It's actually gotten quite popular since we started it 4
months ago and now we're getting requests to stream it so
people can watch it live elsewhere.

I created an account on ustream.tv and a friend has lent me a
Sony DCR-TRV140 camera.

My Dell Latitude E6500 laptop with Vista booted found the
camera immediately and displayed it live so could probably
stream quite easily.

But I'm very curious to see if Ubuntu could do the same,
although it didn't find the camera and I'm wondering if there
is a an application I could just apt-get that would display it
and make it available to ustream.tv.

Not sure where to start but I'm googling now. If anyone has
any hints or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Skip

--
Skip Evans