[svlug] Formatting to NTFS

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Tue Oct 13 18:15:07 PDT 2009

Hey all,

Meant to respond to this before and let you know how it went,
and it went.... SWIMMINGLY! Yes, GParted is a very easy to use
tool, barely glanced at the docs and it was just so intuitive
it was a breeze.

I deviated from Bill's procedure below only slightly.

1) Formatted the whole drive NTFS with GParted,
2) Shrunk the Vista partition with Vista's internal tool for
doing so rather than using GParted again, because I read on a
couple of pages I perused that not using Vista's own tool
would result in Windows having to "repair" itself.
3) Installed Ubuntu selecting to use the shrink tool in Ubuntu
itself to match the partition sizes set with the Vista shrink
tool.

Interestingly, when I chose the "install them side by side"
option the first time it put Ubuntu into some tiny 5GB slice
and would not fit when I ran an update to get the install to
the current updates. It didn't use the large free space left
after shrinking Vista.

After that first try I redid it, this time using the lower bar
in the Ubuntu partition screen to scale the Vista partition
back down to the size I reduced it to inside Vista.

I also didn't create the third VFAT partition, although this
sounds like a cool idea, simply because I store everything but
the OS and programs on my servers.

Anyway, much thanks to all for the help. Now that I know
GParted is a good tool I feel much more competent about
messing about with partitions.

Skip

--
Skip Evans