[svlug] vserver, df and "nfs"

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Oct 13 08:55:43 PDT 2009

Hi,

I just remained orphan of the mailing list of my LUG and it is time
to renew my home server.

When Linux was not that popular and there weren't too many mailing
list, this one was very active and useful, so while our ML is on
holiday I decided to come back here.

I'd like to put all the services I need for my lan in a vserver but
I've a couple of problems.

1) it looks that nfs inside a vserver guest is a pain, so I'm
looking for a "nfs" that:
- play nice inside a vserver guest
- is easy to set up
- inherit users/groups from passwd/users
- can be fstab mounted
- looks as similar as possible as a local fs (locking trouble?)

I'm open to fuse based solutions (ssh, webdav?)
Samba is also an option since I'll have to offer file access to a
Win box as well... but somehow Win access will be very limited and
mostly read only.
My knowledge of Samba hasn't been updated for a long time.
Up to my current knowledge:
- samba is considerably harder to setup that... say sshfs on nfs
- you've to keep in sync samba users and *nix users
- it doesn't map perfectly with *nix fs (permissions, locks, case
  sensitiveness, etc...)
But file access to *nix boxes should be seamlessly, so I prefer to
offer 2 services rather than one that may cause even small glitches
to other Linux boxes.
Things may have changed meanwhile.

2) I've mounted other disks to offer extra storage to one of the
vserver.

[host]
~400Gb HD LVM / on HW RAID
+
~500Gb as:
mount /dev/md0 /etc/vserver/lan/vdir/mnt/nfs

[guest-lan]
df -h just report 400Gb
ivan at lan:~$ df -h
/dev/hdv1             443G   18G  403G   5% /
none                   16M     0   16M   0% /tmp

When I write inside the guest... things get properly written in
md0... but still df report just 400Gb.

How am I going to add "space" inside the vserver so that df can see
it?

thanks for the hospitality and help

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo