[svlug] Formatting to NTFS

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Mon Oct 12 12:47:59 PDT 2009

Hey all,

I got a new Dell Latitude E6500 which came with Vista on it.
When I went to install Ubuntu there was not enough room left
so I tried to resize the partitions, but got them boofed up
because, frankly, I don't know much about manually
partitioning a drive, because I always choose defaults and the
OS always does it fine for my needs.

So then I was unable to reinstall Vista from the CD that came
with the laptop to start over. Right now I just have Ubuntu
installed so I can use it, but now I need Vista back to use a
camera I'm going to be doing some streaming with.

When I try to use the CD that came with the machine it says it
cannot install it to the main partition Ubuntu created and
that "Vista can only be installed on a partition formatted as
NTFS," and it stops.

Is there a Linux utility I can use to reformat the whole drive
so Vista then be restored? Then I'll use the Vistra shrink
partition instructions I found via Ubuntuforums here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Resizing%20partitions%20with%20Windows%20Vista

To shrink the Vista partition to give Ubuntu enough room.

Thanks,
Skip
--
Skip Evans