[svlug] mh-maildir -> mbox conversion

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Oct 5 16:16:35 PDT 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Unfortunately it only sorta worked.  Some folders show as empty that
> should have messages in them, and other folders show some messages, but
> many (most) are missing.  I've visually inspected some of the mbox
> files, but they look ok, I think.

The method I use in this kind of situation is to create a temp account
on an IMAP server (could be even localhost if it's running Linux),
connect to it with the old MUA, copy everything (including the directory
structure) to IMAP, then connect again with the new MUA and copy all
that stuff back in. Should work even for local folders as long as the
MUA allows you to copy messages between accounts, or rather between
local folders and IMAP accounts (they all do).

This is guaranteed to be consistent and error-free (unless the MUA is
awfully buggy), and it's not even too slow if the I/O is decent.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/