[svlug] Damned if you do ........

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Oct 2 20:04:49 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 21:15 -0400, james at linuxrebel.org wrote:
> All
>
>    I've got a bit of a chicken and egg problem with debian.
> Adobe-flash-plugin got partially removed.  OK. Now if I try a
> re-install or install it says that it is hosed and I'll have to remove
> it completely first.  But when I try to remove it (apt-get remove,
> apt-get purge, dpkg -r, dpkg -r --force-all) it says it's in a corrupt
> state and I'll have to re-install first.
>
> huh?
>
>   Is there a way to remove it from the DB that is kept of installed
> packages? Or, perhaps a way to really truly force the removal beyond
> force-all?   I need to get it out of the way because until I do, I can't
> install or remove anything else.
>
>   James

Generally dpkg --purge packagename works for me.

You might want to wait a see if more advice is offered. However, if I
got stuck with the problem you are describing I might recall the old
Linux adage that "everything is a file" and look for the files installed
by the package.

To list files installed to your system from a package you can use...

dpkg -L package-Name

like...

dpkg -L gnucash

It might be that you could then delete those files manually if other
techniques do not work.
It might also be that you have some sort of file or inode corruption.

I hope others will suggest more elegant solutions.
Mark