[svlug] New Linux with new file heirarchy.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri May 29 23:11:09 PDT 2009

On 05/29/2009 10:17 PM, James Sparenberg wrote:
> throwing a lot of what we are used to out the window GoboLinux breaks
> out.  http://gobolinux.org/?page=at_a_glance

Kinda interesting, actually.  I've heard of some proposals to simplify
and improve the unix/linux filesystem, and it looks like they did a
decent job.  I'm a little bit skeptical of the "symlink farms," but that
seems better than, say, adding 500 directories to /etc/ld.so.conf or to
PATH.

The *really* nice thing is it makes it trivial to install multiple
versions of the same library or program and only have one active at
once, and easily switch between them (kinda like Debian's alternatives
system, only built into the system rather than a bolted-on kludge).

I dunno... it would take a little getting used to, but note that, under
the "weird" directories, most apps/libs will still have the usual
bin/lib/var/etc structure underneath.

Maybe try to avoid the knee-jerk "OMG IT'S TEH DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I
KNOW!!11" reaction and judge it on its merits?

I mean, really... aside from the obvious "it's different and therefore
there's a learning curve" argument, what's bad about it?  (Not trying to
trivialise that argument, because it *is* an important consideration,
but... sometimes good change requires breaking assumptions.)

	-brian