[svlug] AMD -> Intel

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri May 22 12:16:57 PDT 2009

Ajit Natarajan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a dual boot hard disk with Windows XP Professional and Kubuntu
> Linux 8.04.  I installed both these operating systems on an AMD machine
> (AMD Sempron single core, nVidia chipset).  I am running an errata
> kernel, i.e., I didn't build a custom kernel.
>
> That machine has failed and I'm planning to migrate to an Intel machine
> (Intel Core 2 Duo, don't know chipset as yet).
>
> Will I be able to boot from my original hard disk or do I need to
> reinstall?  If I need to reinstall, do I have to do a full reinstall or
> can I replace some files/packages?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ajit

Linux side should boot fine.  You'll probably have to update the modules
you load, though, as well as your X config.

Windows side - hard to say.  I've seen both of the following case when
you change the underlying hardware:  1) boots, then blue-screens, or 2)
boots, then detects the hardware changes and forces you to go through
Windows Activation again.

HTH,

DR