[svlug] AMD -> Intel

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri May 22 12:15:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:53:03AM -0700, Ajit Natarajan wrote:

> Will I be able to boot from my original hard disk or do I need to
> reinstall?  If I need to reinstall, do I have to do a full reinstall or
> can I replace some files/packages?

As was pointed out, the easiest way is to get another disk, install a
new system on it, and plug in the old disk as an extra.

If you really want to boot off the old disk, you need a rescue CD.
After booting, you need to look at the devices on the new box, and fix
up your initrd and /etc/modprobe.conf (or equivalent) to reflect the
new devices. This isn't hard if you've done it before, but if not, the
learning curve is pretty steep.

-- greg