[svlug] AMD -> Intel

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:08:03 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Ajit Natarajan <ajitk at email.com> wrote:

> Will I be able to boot from my original hard disk or do I need to
> reinstall?  If I need to reinstall, do I have to do a full reinstall or
> can I replace some files/packages?

I had to do pretty much the exact same thing. Back up to May of last
year, when I and a few friends helped put together an amd64 box to
replace my aging & decrepit Athlon Tbird. I installed ubuntu Hardy 64
bit on that box. That box subsequently went south over the summer, and
had to borrow another amd 3800 box to keep going until January or so.
Since the borrowed box pretty much had the same HW (i.e, same on-board
video, audio and so forth) then I just migrated my hard drives into
that box temporarily, and it worked fine. I also did the hardy to
intrepid dist-upgrade on that box.

I elected to do a fresh install of intrepid when I got my core2quad
box in January. I did an install of intrepid on that, and then
migrated to jaunty in the middle of the testing cycle.

In short, you'll probably be able to just plug in the disk and it will
work, as long as it is on the same chain, and you might need a rescue
or boot cd to get it to boot, or you may not. You shouldn't have to
install anything new unless you have new hardware (example, machine A
has video card X, and machine B has video card Y), but even then, it
might just be a case of just reconfiguring X from the command line.

YMMV of course.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.