[svlug] AMD -> Intel

Ajit Natarajan ajitk at email.com
Fri May 22 11:53:03 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have a dual boot hard disk with Windows XP Professional and Kubuntu
Linux 8.04.  I installed both these operating systems on an AMD machine
(AMD Sempron single core, nVidia chipset).  I am running an errata
kernel, i.e., I didn't build a custom kernel.

That machine has failed and I'm planning to migrate to an Intel machine
(Intel Core 2 Duo, don't know chipset as yet).

Will I be able to boot from my original hard disk or do I need to
reinstall?  If I need to reinstall, do I have to do a full reinstall or
can I replace some files/packages?

Thanks.

Ajit