[svlug] One year after XP on the OPLC XO-1: Nobody wants XP

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 20:18:23 PDT 2009

As I predicted last year. "I can't tell you how much I have been
looking forward to trials of Linux and Windows on the same hardware by
the same people, none of them on the Microsoft payroll."

We will discuss these and other issues at the OLPC BOF, 10 am Saturday
at Baycon. Bring your XOs! Bring your questions! Learn about the next
billion Linux users!

http://baycon.org/2009/

BTW, Sugar now runs in some form on Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, ALT Linux,
Mandriva, Caixa Mágica, Gentoo, Open SUSE, and Slackware, with many
more to come. You can also install Sugar on a Stick (SoaS) on a USB
flash drive and boot it on any x86 box that can boot from USB,
including x86 Macs. VirtualBox, qemu, and VMWare can run images of
most of these on Linux, Mac, and Windows systems generally. (I have
tested seven of them successfully running in VirtualBox.) SoaS, along
with LiveCDs, means that we can use Sugar without installing it, which
may enable us to bypass restrictions in many computer labs.