[svlug] Chinese character support under Ubuntu Jaunty Live CD

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed May 20 19:01:23 PDT 2009

Christian Einfeldt writes:

> hi,
>
> I am attempting to help a Chinese org move to FOSS.  I tested Ubuntu Jaunty
> on the org's Vista machine, Livebooting from the CD-ROM, but we were not
> able to create any Chinese characters when typing in OpenOffice.org (OOo).
> We tried rebooting and selecting Chinese, but many of the GNOME menu
> features remained in English, and OOo still did not type Chinese.
>
> We did go into System > Administration > Language Support, and noticed that
> some of the features available there are not available in LiveCDs.
>
> My question is this: has anyone here successfully used a Ubuntu CD to
> successfully demonstrate Ubuntu's ability to type Chinese characters in
> OpenOffice.org?

It seems to me that the live CD probably omits some language support
packages in order to save space, although I haven't used that particular
live CD or tried to use a non-en_US locale on any Ubuntu live CD.  (I
have used other locales on installed systems...)

You can generally install packages into a RAM disk on the Ubuntu live
CD once you have a network connection.  So you might try

sudo apt-get install language-pack-zh language-support-zh

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.