[svlug] One year after XP on the OPLC XO-1: Nobody wants XP

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed May 20 09:18:11 PDT 2009

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, May 20, 2009 at 08:40:42AM -0700:
> http://www.olpcnews.com/software/windows/nobody_buying_windows_xo_laptops.html

> Apparently the conversations are going pretty much as many of us had
> expected: Initially country representatives inquire if Windows XP runs
> on the XO laptop. That doesn't really come as a surprise - for many
> people Windows is the definition of a computer. However, upon further
> investigation every country decided to stick to Sugar.

That kind of makes sense.  If someone was selling me
a bunch of computers with a new (to me) OS on them,
I'd ask if the hardware runs my existing OS, in case
I didn't like the new one and wanted to keep using
the new hardware with my old OS.

There's also the "jeez, get a real computer" factor.
Just being able to run MSFT Windows shows that the
XO isn't a toy.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco