[svlug] Sorry I missed Akkana's talk

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:45:42 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> I'll bet Akkana Peck's talk was a really good one.  Akkana, if you have
> slides or notes, we'd be delighted to add them to our Web site.  Thanks!

Likewise.

> --
> Cheers,              Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers
> Rick Moen            Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;
> rick at linuxmafia.com  Incontrovertibly / What we need more of is
> McQ!  (4x80)         Unicode weenies and / François Yergeaus.

+1

I reviewed Alis Technology's Unicode-enabled Tango Web browser for
Multilingual magazine some years ago.

Is this a trend? The only other nerd example I have seen is

Higgledy-Piggledy / Kibo Ubiquitous, /
Greps for his name in the / Happynet spool. /
Interdimensional / Cyberspace deity: /
Didaktyliaios / Dada is cool.

Didaktylaios being, of course an example of itself, a double dactyl.

Although there is also

http://www.math.wisc.edu/~robbin/Higgeldy.txt

Starting with

Long-short-short, long-short-short
   Dactyls in dimeter,
   Verse form with choriambs
   (Masculine rhyme):
One sentence (two stanzas)
   Hexasyllabically
   Challenges poets who
   Don't have the time.

See also Rhyme's Reason, by John Hollander, one of the inventors of
this form. I particularly like

Zeugma's syntactic punning, sharp and terse,
As on _in_'s senses, which we now rehearse:
"Zeugma's used in earnest and this verse."

And in "He took offense, his hat, his departure, and a taxi."
And Children are my nation.