[svlug] question - my laptop won't charge to 100% even though plugged in and using AC power

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Sun May 3 23:37:42 PDT 2009

Brian J. Tarricone writes:

> On Sun, 03 May 2009 18:47:08 -0700 Alan Denney wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:10:22 -0700, Jeff
> > <jeff.lists.nov.2006 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >If you do not use the battery, you practically do no need it. I
> > >would remove the battery completely if you do not use it... In your
> > >case I would order a new battery and save it for when I travel or
> > >other times a battery is needed.
> >
> > "Need"?  Maybe not, but it's a darn good thing to have in place  if
> > the power goes out in the middle of an unsaved session, even if just
> > becomes some idjit kicked the plug out or stepped on the power switch
> > for the power strip.
>
> True, but leaving Li ion batteries plugged in all the time is one of
> the main things that reduces their life (it's basically the increased
> temperature that does it).

Oh, Brian, modern Li-ion chargers, (in laptops, cellphones, etc.,) are
not trickle chargers-they are smart enough to sense charge capacity,
and turn off the charge current after a fairly high charge rate to
near 100% capacity; then monitor the capacity, turning on when
necessary, to replenish charge leakage. See:

    http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/131
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/663

    John

--