[svlug] question - my laptop won't charge to 100% even though plugged in and using AC power

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun May 3 22:52:03 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 03 May 2009 18:47:08 -0700 Alan Denney wrote:
>> "Need"?  Maybe not, but it's a darn good thing to have in place  if
>> the power goes out in the middle of an unsaved session, even if just
>> becomes some idjit kicked the plug out or stepped on the power switch
>> for the power strip.
>
> True, but leaving Li ion batteries plugged in all the time is one of
> the main things that reduces their life (it's basically the increased
> temperature that does it).
>
>> It's probably at least partially salvageable by repeated drawing
>> downs and full recharges.
>
> Nope, not in the least.  That may have been true of NiCad and possibly
> NiMH batteries, but you'll get the exact opposite out of Li ion
> batteries.  Repeated full discharges + full charges are also what
> reduces their life.  Li ion batteries don't have the "memory" that
> other types do that can sometimes be fixed by "refreshing" them in this
> manner.  Doing full discharge/charge cycles will actually make the
> battery worse.

I'd love to believe you, but personal experience with Li Ion batteries
would suggest otherwise... Unless I'm getting stiffed and they're
giving me NiCad while telling me it's Li Ion.

My old X40 actually had a battery "reconditioning" tool which would
drain and recharge the battery (while it was still plugged in!) and
I'm really certain that it used Li Ion batteries...

> Also, they lose capacity just by existing, even if you don't use them.
> Assuming you aren't using them, the best thing to do is to store it
> around 40% charged in a cold place.  Of course, that often defeats the
> purpose of having a laptop :-P

I've been known to leave my gadgets in the fridge overnight for that
very reason.  You have no idea what chilling your battery can do for
you!

Note that I only put my cell phone in the fridge.  Laptops don't go in
the fridge (what if the milk spills?  eew!), but their batteries do!

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!