[svlug] question - my laptop won't charge to 100% even though plugged in and using AC power

Deyan Bektchiev svlug at bektchiev.net
Sun May 3 01:56:19 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Darlene Wallach
<freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Chris Miller
> <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Darlene Wallach
>> <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> I always use my laptop plugged into AC power. The last few days I've noticed
>>> the yellow light is blinking and will not turn green. When I hover the mouse
>>> over the plug it shows the computer is charging. Does this indicate I need a
>>> new power supply? The power supply gets warm - it used to get hot. I just
>>> bought one last summer, July 2008, just before I left for Gaza. Or does this
>>> indicate another problem?
>>>
>>> Thank you for any insight. Thank you for your attention.
>>
>> Lithium Ion batteries do loose their ability to hold a charge as time goes by.
>>
>> I have noticed that sometimes the battery's internal meter becomes
>> "confused" and fails to recognize that it's holding as much as it will
>> be able to hold in its degraded state.

I had a ThinkPad battery that simply "died" and would not recharge at
all and was showing the exact same symptoms. The ThinkPad power
manager (unfortunately only available in Windows) showed that the
battery was bad and I called Lenovo to have it replaced under
warranty.

Run "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT*/*" and look at the output to see if
the battery is really holding charge.

Regards,
Deyan