[svlug] question - my laptop won't charge to 100% even though plugged in and using AC power

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sat May 2 00:55:57 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Darlene Wallach
<freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I always use my laptop plugged into AC power. The last few days I've noticed
> the yellow light is blinking and will not turn green. When I hover the mouse
> over the plug it shows the computer is charging. Does this indicate I need a
> new power supply? The power supply gets warm - it used to get hot. I just
> bought one last summer, July 2008, just before I left for Gaza. Or does this
> indicate another problem?
>
> Thank you for any insight. Thank you for your attention.

Lithium Ion batteries do loose their ability to hold a charge as time goes by.

I have noticed that sometimes the battery's internal meter becomes
"confused" and fails to recognize that it's holding as much as it will
be able to hold in its degraded state.

Discharge and then recharge the battery, and if it is getting to the
point that you cannot hold sufficient charge to get through and hour,
that's when you should replace the battery.

If the power adapter gets too hot that can be an indicator that the
cord has become stressed and is putting up too much resistance.
Continuing use could damage the unit, although if it's an old battery
with damaged circuitry that could be the cause as well.

I would suggest replacing both battery and power adapter once every
year and a half to two years just because they get old and start to
break down.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!