[svlug] weird graphics problem

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jan 27 17:45:03 PST 2009

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Having a weird problem with my machine's graphics.  Not sure why, but
> text alternates being sharp and blurry in columns across the screen.
> E.g., if I'm reading an article in my browser, 2 or 3 words will be
> sharp, then the next 2 or 3 blurry, and so on.  (Does what I'm
> describing make sense?  If not, then I can post a photo.)  Never seen
> anything like this before.  Usually either the entire screen is blurry
> or none.
>
> This is happening on my Linux box, using the radeon X driver (card is a
> Radeon 9200SE), at 1280x1024 resolution, with a Dell E171FP flat panel
> screen.  Although the video runs through a KVM, I don't believe that is
> the problem, as the other box connected to the machine (a windows box)
> doesn't experience these problems.
>
> Anyone heard of anything remotely like this or have any clue what might
> be going on?  I'm not clear on whether this is a software or a hardware
> issue.
>
> TIA,
>
> DR

Ah - think I've got it fixed now.

Not sure why, but when I autoadjust the monitor under Linux, the Pixel
Clock and Phase settings on it get set way off.  I manually set it to
the same settings that it uses on the Windows box and it seems like it
cleared up the problem.  Duh - nice defaults, Dell.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the noise.

DR