[svlug] weird graphics problem

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jan 27 12:04:53 PST 2009

Having a weird problem with my machine's graphics.  Not sure why, but
text alternates being sharp and blurry in columns across the screen.
E.g., if I'm reading an article in my browser, 2 or 3 words will be
sharp, then the next 2 or 3 blurry, and so on.  (Does what I'm
describing make sense?  If not, then I can post a photo.)  Never seen
anything like this before.  Usually either the entire screen is blurry
or none.

This is happening on my Linux box, using the radeon X driver (card is a
Radeon 9200SE), at 1280x1024 resolution, with a Dell E171FP flat panel
screen.  Although the video runs through a KVM, I don't believe that is
the problem, as the other box connected to the machine (a windows box)
doesn't experience these problems.

Anyone heard of anything remotely like this or have any clue what might
be going on?  I'm not clear on whether this is a software or a hardware
issue.

TIA,

DR