[svlug] Reuse of pid's.

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jan 22 12:00:40 PST 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:20:12AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
>
>> Not really, since you don't know what pid the kernel
>> will give the next process it creates.
>
> 'cept they're traditionally handed out round-robin, which is why
> killall works most of the time. It's only when you have a very fast
> rate of process creation that you get into trouble.

 From a practical standpoint, if that's the case, it means the s**t has
really hit the fan, a lot of assumptions will break anyway, and you
should be prepared to deal with major weirdness as a matter of course.
Then killall having an unexpected behavior might well be just a
relatively minor issue.

I'm not surprised they haven't bothered to fix the "bug".

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/