[svlug] to hosts or not to hosts

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Wed Jan 21 15:15:28 PST 2009

We use Virtual Hosting on Apache for dozens of sites, among
them our mantis.venomouspenguin.com bug tracking and
dotproject.venomouspenguin.com project management.

My question is does it increase performance to use the entries
in /et/hosts to keep access on the lan rather than forcing it
to the outside world to resolve the venomouspenguin.com
subdomains.

Skip

Jeremiah Wuenschel wrote:
> This brings up another point that I forgot to mention. An advantage of
> using DNS names to access your boxes is the ability to use named vhosts
> in Apache to serve up different web roots on the same box, from port 80.
> I presume you are currently running things on separate ports? Out of the
> box, Bonjour (Zeroconf/Avahi) will set up hostname.local for you, but
> you will need to do some additional configuration on each box to have it
> announce its services. I have no experience with a setup like this -- I
> just know that the amount of broadcast traffic will increase, and you
> may experience difficulties if you decide to make your setup more complex.
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Bill Ward <bill at wards.net
> <mailto:bill at wards.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com
>     <mailto:skip at bigskypenguin.com>> wrote:
>      > Hey all,
>      >
>      > Here on our LAN we have a couple of development servers where
>      > all our client code sits as happy as clams. For code editing
>      > we just mount them as NFS points and edit away, but web based
>      > systems we use for project management (dotProject) and issues
>      > tracking (Mantis), we of course connect through http.
>
>     If your network is small enough that you are using 192.168.1.xxx then
>     you probably can just use bonjour to do it.  Most modern Linux distros
>     advertise themselves using bonjour out of the box such that you can
>     just use the .local domain to access them.  For example if your
>     hostname is 'mantis' then just use 'mantis.local' as the hostname.
>
>     This of course only works if everyone's under the same router, such as
>     your typical small network Linksys wifi router.

Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC
503 S Baldwin St, #1
Madison WI 53703