[svlug] to hosts or not to hosts

Jeremiah Wuenschel jeremiah.wuenschel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:00:19 PST 2009

This brings up another point that I forgot to mention. An advantage of using
DNS names to access your boxes is the ability to use named vhosts in Apache
to serve up different web roots on the same box, from port 80. I presume you
are currently running things on separate ports? Out of the box, Bonjour
(Zeroconf/Avahi) will set up hostname.local for you, but you will need to do
some additional configuration on each box to have it announce its services.
I have no experience with a setup like this -- I just know that the amount
of broadcast traffic will increase, and you may experience difficulties if
you decide to make your setup more complex.