[svlug] to hosts or not to hosts

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Wed Jan 21 06:57:02 PST 2009

Hey all,

Here on our LAN we have a couple of development servers where
all our client code sits as happy as clams. For code editing
we just mount them as NFS points and edit away, but web based
systems we use for project management (dotProject) and issues
tracking (Mantis), we of course connect through http.

My question is this:

Is it more efficient or desirable to put an entry in

/etc/hosts

like say

192.168.1.100	dotproject.venomouspenguin.com
192.168.1.100	mantis.venomouspenguin.com

for these applications?

I have tried it both ways and see no discernible performance
increase.

I would guess one advantage would be these apps would still be
accessible if the connection to the outside went down?

Does it resolve the local apps to a 192.168 internal address
even without the entries (I would guess not), or does it
always go outside first?

Does it also depend on the entries in resolv.conf which way ti
goes (inside or out)?
--
Skip Evans