[svlug] Error building VMware, Kernal book?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 19 20:11:59 PST 2009

Quoting Skip Evans (skip at bigskypenguin.com):

> I'm afraid I don't even know what kernel header files are.
>
> I've actually done tons of C/C++ programming in the past, so I
> think if I got a book on the Linux kernel I'd probably get a
> bit out of it.

Um, if you've done C, you've seeh .h files, right?  Header files?  So:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_file
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Kernel_headers

> Can anyone recommend some titles to learn more about the
> Kernel and it's magical ways of controlling the universe?

http://kernelnewbies.org/

However, if you just want to just brush up on kernel docs, then get a
kernel source tarball and delve through its ./Documentation subtree.

> Thanks again all for all the help, this VM stuff is cool! Just
> wish I could install OS X too, that would be <cartman>super
> sweet!</cartman>

Sure.  All you need to run OS X within a VM is to swap out your
underlying hardware for a suitable Intel Macintosh.  Short of that,
you'll need to sit down and engineer around strong measures Apple, Inc.
built into the OS code specifically to attempt to prevent the usage
model you have in mind.

You could, of course, attempt to leverage other people's attempts to
re-engineer OS X for that purpose.  See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86  Note the point about a need to make
sure your environment (such as your VM) supports SSE3 instructions.

But you'll find that this is the wrong mailing list, for that sort of
effort.