[svlug] Error building VMware

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Mon Jan 19 17:58:39 PST 2009

Hey all,

Sorry for the lack of detail.

I followed the directions on this page:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-2-on-ubuntu-8.10

Which included the operation below.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential
xinetd

So is it a case that, as Jean Philippe Granchi sent me that
"you might have a kernel that VMware is not supporting, Ubuntu
8.10 tend to be updated and running the latest kernel and last
improvements."

Skip

Ehud Kaldor wrote:
> Did you try to install the linux server headers?
>

> On 1/19/09, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> Skip Evans wrote:
>>
>>> Then I got this during the compile:
>>>
>>> /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27:
>>> error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
>> Install your distro's kernel header package.
>>
>>> Found a suggested fix via Google but it didn't help.
>> In general it's useful to also tell us what you've tried (which didn't
>> work) so people don't repeat things you've already done.
>>
>> 	-brian

Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC
503 S Baldwin St, #1