[svlug] Error building VMware

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Mon Jan 19 16:56:52 PST 2009

Hey all,

So on someone's advice I decided to go with the tar.gz instead
of attempting to convert the VMware rpm file into a deb, and
during the install of the tar.gz I got this:

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is
suitable for your running kernel.  Do you want this program to
try to build the vmmon module for your system (you need to
have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

That was after following instructions here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-2-on-ubuntu-8.10

Including this one:

apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd

Then I got this during the compile:

/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27:
error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory

Found a suggested fix via Google but it didn't help.

Grrrr... any suggestions?

--
Skip Evans