[svlug] VMware vs. two boxes and a KVM

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Mon Jan 19 13:09:41 PST 2009

Hey all,

I have two workstations here for myself and my other coder.

Each workstation consists of two boxes, one with the latest
version of Ubuntu 8.10 and the second box with XP. Both are
connected through KVMs.

I've started exploring the possibility of using VMware on just
one machine to run both Ubuntu and XP, freeing up two machines
to be used for other things.

I get the impression from reading that VMware Workstation is
the product I'm after, but I'd like some thoughts and opinions
before proceeding with an install.

I'd also like to hear some feedback on whether I should run
Ubuntu as the primary OS and Windows in a VM, or versa visa? I
kind of think Ubuntu just because I like it better and am more
comfortable thinking about it as the actual OS running the
machine, unless I'm totally misunderstanding how VMware works.

Or is it going to be more reliable/stable/better to keep
separate machines. We don't really have to go to VMware, but
if it works just as well, takes up less physical space, would
it be better?

Thanks,
Skip
--