[svlug] image de-noiser software

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jan 15 10:10:36 PST 2009

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Florin Andrei (florin at andrei.myip.org):
>
>> On Windows, there are several de-noiser apps that a photographer can use
>> with good results - Neat Image, Noise Ninja, Topaz DeNoise, etc.
>> Are there any comparable applications on Linux?
>
> 1. GREYCstoration (GIMP plugin), also usable as a command-line tool
> 3. Wavelet denoise plugin (GIMP), http://registry.gimp.org/node/4235

I just saw the latest GIMP article on ArsTechnica...

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/gimp-2-6-review.ars

...(BTW, pretty awesome article), which made me aware of GREYCstoration
and wavelet denoise. I tried them, but:
- wavelet denoise is not very smart. It kills a lot of detail if you do
a deep noise reduction.
- GREYCstoration seems to work only on luma noise. Unless I'm missing
something, it doesn't seem able to handle chroma noise.

I'll try the others.

BTW, I know there are no good solutions to this problem, so anything
that may be satisfactory for what I do will inevitably include some
subjective factors (the "good enough for me" clause).

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/