[svlug] slow file transfer between Linux and Solaris?

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Jan 9 19:43:30 PST 2009

On Friday 09 January 2009 11:23:09 Johann Hasselbach wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Johann Hasselbach <jhass88 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > We're having some issues here where we are getting extremely slow
> > transfers between our office and our data center.
> >
> > The kicker is that it only happens between Linux (mostly Ubuntu) and
> > Solaris (10) boxes.
>
> We checked our duplex settings, since a lot of google hits seemed to
> point to that as the culprit. But all boxes are set to full duplex and
> autonegotiate. So that's not it for sure.
I think Rick's suggestion was to turn autonegoiate _off_ and hard-code the
speed to 10, 100 or whatever so there is no negotiation. I remember (from
about eight years ago now) dozens of instances where autonegotiation was a
problem. This resulted in us, as a matter of policy, setting the speeds
rather than use autonegotiation- and this was with good quality gear.

--
Mark Weisler   PGP: 0x68E462B6  http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/