[svlug] slow file transfer between Linux and Solaris?

Johann Hasselbach jhass88 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 09:22:10 PST 2009

We're having some issues here where we are getting extremely slow
transfers between our office and our data center.

The kicker is that it only happens between Linux (mostly Ubuntu) and
Solaris (10) boxes. Between two Solaris boxes everything is okay, and
between two Linux boxes everything is okay -- that is, files transfer
properly at the expected speed.

Between a Linux and Solaris box, the transfer initially starts out
fast, but then slows to a crawl.

We're going to call a network consultant onsite to check this out, but
in the meantime, could there be anything obvious we are missing?

Thanks!