[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Jan. 7 meeting: An Introduction to OpenStreetMap

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 7 18:44:22 PST 2009

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday:

WHEN:

  Wednesday, January 7, 2009
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    An Introduction to OpenStreetMap, an open source map of the world

  PRESENTED BY:
    Sarah Manley

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    OpenStreetMap is an open source project to collaboratively map the
    entire world. OpenStreetMap is both free and Free, allowing open access
    to geodata. There are over 70,000 participants in OpenStreetMap
    worldwide, and community members are using the data to create a
    variety of maps, such as opencyclemap.org and openrouteservice.org.
    The project's volunteers are working to increase participation here
    in the US. This presentation will focus on the past, present and future
    of geodata, OpenStreetMap goals, as well how people can get involved.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
     Sarah is the community ambassador for OpenStreetMap in the Bay
     Area. As community ambassador, she works to engage a wider range of
     participants in OpenStreetMap, by organizing mapping parties,
     speaking engagements, and collaborations with community groups. She
     is also working to develop a curriculum using OpenStreetMap's data
     and tools.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!