[svlug] [svlug-announce] Aug 15th Installfest -- hours update

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 14 19:28:17 PDT 2009

Installfest:  11 am to 4 pm:
---------------------------
Just as a brief update to Andrew's note:  SVLUG volunteer Vasudevan
Kottilil was able to get Installfest and Workshop hours at Fremont
Main Library extended to our traditional 11 am to 4 pm (_not_ just
the 1-4 pm originally reported).

As an outline, we'll be going through these steps:

o  Set up tftp server (preferably atftp rather than tftpd-hpa)
o  Set up syslinux (PXE netbooting microkernel)
o  Set up ISC DHCP server
o  Set up BIND9 DNS server
o  Set up NFS and Web server
o  Write the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default boot-menu file
o  For standard Kickstart entries (RHEL, CentOS, etc.) in the boot-menu file,
   what's in the ks.cfg files they reference and how to manage them.
o  For OpenSUSE/SLES/SLED entries, how to write them to do AutoYaST
   installations.
o  For Debian / Ubuntu, how to write "preseed" entries.

At that point, we'll have a basic installfest server for doing fast,
automated, customisable installations.  More to the point, everyone
attending will know how to build one.  ;->

Time permitting, we'll go on to cover how to netboot lots of other
sorts of things, rough out the Web pages an installfest server needs,
discuss what else it should do, and talk about how best to make the
work available to others.

For attendees wanting to just do regular installs, I'm also bringing
CABAL's extensive CD/DVD collection
(http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros), my CD/DVD/BluRay
burner, and blank media.

Where:
Fremont Main Library (1st Conference Room on the right)
2400 Stevenson Blvd @ Paseo Padre Pkwy
Fremont, CA 94538
Web site - http://snipurl.com/own9v
Map - http://snipurl.com/owmxy