[svlug] Google Voice

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Wed Aug 12 00:47:45 PDT 2009

Jeff writes:
> Does anybody have google voice?
>
> What are your thoughts on it?

I have used it off and on for about 3 weeks. Call quality is good to
excellent, it will accept a white list and black list in comma
delimited format, and will forward calls to multiple numbers, (i.e.,
calling my Google Voice number will ring both my cell phone and home
phone, and it steers the call to which ever one is answered. You can
have the CID it steers to the phones the caller's CID, or the Google
Voice CID, (for distinctive ring.)

If an incoming call is in the white list, it routes it directly with
no intervention. If its in the black list, it does not route it, if
not in either list, it asks for the caller's name, and when the phone
is answered, it says "Call from ... do you want to accept the call?"
(Which is a very nice touch-it puts telemarketers through the hoops,
and doesn't interfere with normal call traffic.)

It sends a email message notification of voice mail, and the message
has a reasonable voice-to-text representation of the voice message in
the email.

You put what phone numbers it will accept to dial out, (i.e., I dial
my Google Voice number from my cell phone, then the number I want to
dial, and it connects my cell phone to that number, though Google
Voice.) This is a bit of a pain, (but may be better on Android, which
I haven't tried-I use a Samsung,) since the Samsung does not support
any form dialing script in speed dial or from the address book.

You can also access your white list/call list, (by clicking,) on the
web interface, and it rings your cell phone, and when you answer it,
it connects the call, (kind'a like a foreign call PBX in a large
company, with a click-to-call.)

I did not try using the PC audio system as the phone. (Has anyone done
this in Linux?)

Foreign call costs are comparable to Skype.

All in all, probably a good option to have.

    John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/