[svlug] Cron not working

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Aug 5 10:13:01 PDT 2009

I think the preferred way to set up cron jobs in Ubuntu is not to use
crontab files, but instead to put the job in the 'cron.daily' folder.

Ubuntu, more than most distros, has little compunction about
discarding traditional Unixy ways of doing things if someone has an
idea that seems like a good one.  The idea behind anacron is that most
cron jobs don't really need to be done at set times, so long as they
get done once a day (or however often) and since a personal
workstation or laptop is often powered down or booted into another OS
it might not be online at the time it is supposed to be run.

Check out my LEGO blog at http://www.brickpile.com/
View my photos at http://flickr.com/photos/billward/
Follow me at http://twitter.com/williamward