[svlug] Cron not working

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Wed Aug 5 06:20:29 PDT 2009

Hey all,

I created the following cron job with

crontab -e

as root, but it won't run.

# m 	h  	dom 	mon 	dow   	command
1	8	*	*	*	/bin/cp /mnt/BSP_usr/backup/* /usr/backup/

However, I can just cut and paste the command from crontab -l
and it runs just fine from the command line, so I know the
back up files are accessible from the server and can be
written to my local drive.

I also see on my system there is no /usr/lib/cron directory at
all, but I get the impression from what I've read root can
always run a cron job regardless of what's in /usr/lib/cron,
or even if it does not exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I changed permissions on /usr/backup to 777 just to make sure
it was not a permissions issue.

I did the following to try to find it in syslog but there is
no reference to it there.

grep CRON /var/log/syslog

Skip

--