[svlug] editing PDFs

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 19:00:41 PDT 2009

Thanks to all who replied...

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Paul Reiber <reiber at gmail.com> wrote:

> per
> http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39517306,00.htm
> :
> "Scribus can do almost anything that Adobe Acrobat can do"
> -pbr

I did grab Scribus from the Jaunty repos and I tried to open the PDF with
it, but no joy.  I received this error message:  "File [filename.pdf] is not
an acceptable format".

When I tried to open it with PDFedit, I received an error message saying
that the file was encrypted, and would not open.

GIMP was able to open the file just fine.  I ended up using the GIMP, as I
have always done in the past.  GIMP is able to read the file, and then I
used the text tool to create retangular fields and then just entered the
data.  Using the GIMP probably does require you to merge down the layer,
because AFAIK, by using the text tool, you are actually creating a layer
over the PDF below.

The resulting copy was not as good as it would be with a native Adobe
product.  The image is a bit fuzzy.  Maybe I was just not sharpening the
underlying image enough.  But the result is acceptable.  If you would like
to test out what i am talking about, you can download the copy by clicking
on this link, which will offer you the option of dowloading the form.  It is
called an SR-1, which is a mandatory form for reporting vehicle collisions
in California.

I think that it is unfortunate that once again, our government is more or
less requiring us to use non-standard, proprietary closed document formats.

Sun has created this workaround for OOo:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport

I have not tried it yet.

Thanks again to all who replied.